Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Supreme Court Nominee

I have no idea who will be nominated to replace Souter when he steps down from the Supreme court. I'm sure Monsieur le President has hopes they can find a woman who is part Cherokee, part Black, part Latin, part Asian, and who is disabled in some way (hearing impaired would be good so we could get a signer in the supreme court).

Anyway - thinking about it brought a couple of things to mind............

Wonder what ever happened to the eminent domain case brought to try to seize Souter’s house after he tipped the scales on the New London case? (turned out the land was never developed).

A story about Justice Ginsburg. To me it is a great illustration on the intellectual arrogance of many powerful liberals - as well as some insight into her personally.

Several years ago (and this was before she was diagnosed with cancer) a friend of mine was in Jackson Hole, WY doing some fly fishing. He was staying at one of the area’s better resort hotels. Apparently there was a legal conference going on with a lot of big names in attendance.

One night he at the head of the line at the Maitre D stand putting his name on the list for a table - about a fifteen minute wait. Just as he turned away Ruthie - with hubby in tow - marched past everyone to the head of the line and announced to the Maitre D in a voice loud enough for much of the restaurant to hear “I’m Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I don’t wait and I don’t pay.”

She was shown to a table immediately and a few minutes later my friend was seated at a table near her and her husband. From what my friend said she spent the whole meal time being nasty to the wait staff and berating her husband who sat, cowed, with his head down saying nothing.

Her waiter, who was also waiting on my friend said to him after she (Ginsburg) left - “Not only doesn’t she pay but she doesn’t tip either.”

I guess I can understand her wish to look to foreign law for precedent - looks like she got her manners from Paris.

1 comment:

Nathaniel said...

It won't work in actual fact, that is exactly what I suppose.
G_star Khaki Amos Knit Cardigan | website | website